"designing with fabrication in mind" - brian nickel, design division manager
Virtual Design and Construction
Harvey's is focused on collaboratively working with all architects, engineers, contractors, and trades to ensure the timely delivery and installation of all prefabrication services. Through a tried and tested process the Design Division utilizes a Building Information Modeling approach. The life-cycle of the building is focused on and all systems are documented to ensure future servicing needs are minimized. As a technological leader in the industry, Harvey's has been at the forefront of Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) by contributing in local user groups and national conventions. Our commitment to remaining on the leading edge of construction technology has meant that we have been investing in and implementing many of the BIM concepts since before the term was even created, including:
- Developing 3D models and drawing the complete mechanical systems.
- Automating and interpreting collision detection before construction through digital reconstruction and as-built conditions.
- Performing 3D “virtual walkthroughs" through point cloud's with digital fabricated models.
- Automating project material costs and orders for delivery to site.
- Maximizing pre-fabrication opportunities for plumbing, hvac, and hydronics.
- Electronically sharing construction documents, including submittals and O&M data with design team.
- Reducing RFIs, field changes, and change orders.
- Creating (and adhering to) detailed schedules for optimal installations and precision.
- Providing data-rich, 3D as-built drawings, for building life-cycle maintenance and owner documentation.
We incorporate these concepts into our everyday work, and on every project. You will realize the savings in cost, time and reduced errors.
Virtual Design & Construction Coordination Examples
INTEGRATED PROJECT DELIVERY
Autodesk's definition of Integrated Project Delivery:
Integrated Project Delivery, or IPD, is a project delivery method distinguished by early collaboration between cross-functional teams through all phases of design, fabrication, and construction. By entering this type of contractual agreement, teams are able to collaboratively harnesses the talents and insights of all participants to optimize project results, increase value to the owner, reduce waste, and maximize efficiency through all phases of design, fabrication, and construction. The entire process, from concept to construction, is defined by early substantive engagement by all key stakeholders.
What are the benefits of IPD?
An IPD project improves project outcomes by changing the way decisions are made, goal are accomplished, and responsibilities are shared. The hallmarks of an IPD project are shared objectives, consensus in decision making, and the use of BIM, or building information modeling.
The American Institute of Architecture created a comprehensive guide to IPD, outlining contract types, processes, and roles.
Read more of this process on Autodesk's website and why we swear by it at Harvey's:
Prefabrication is the heart of Harvey’s beliefs on mechanical and plumbing contracting. Working closely with our VDC department and their design software capabilities, we ensure that our installations fit precisely and are fabricated with the highest level of quality and care. When schedules are fast, prefabrication allows our team to produce large quantities of product and assemblies offsite in our warehouses, most of the time prior to the building being ready for mechanical and plumbing installation.
Our state of the art fabrication facilities and technology includes:
- Laser Scanning As-Built conditions
- State of the art design lab, fabrication warehouses, and equipment.
- Plumbing Fabrication Warehouse
- HVAC Warehouse supplied by local suppliers for quicker installation.
- Sheet Metal Fabrication Warehouse
- Plasma Cutters, Sheet Metal Folders, Press Brakes, and Shears.
All fabrication operations are supervised by our full time division managers. With separate warehouses available for black pipe, copper, PVC and stainless steel, our fabrication shops can handle any project thrown at them, at any time.
Mechanical Room Layout & Coordination
Laser scanned as-built documentation for optimal mechanical design.
HARVEY'S RAIN WATER CATCHMENT DESIGN
Let us design your next rain water catchment system.